We are the World Data Center for Climate (WDCC), hosted and maintained by the German Climate Computing Center (DKRZ) in Hamburg, Germany.
Our explicit mission is to provide access to and preservation of climate model data. The WDCC is guided by the FAIR Principles for the management and maintenance of scientific data. This means that the climate model data are well-described and curated for easy reusability. The WDCC services are aimed at both scientists who produce data (e.g. to fulfill good scientific practice) and scientists who re-use published data for new research.
The WDCC is an accredited regular member of the World Data System (WDS) since 2003. WDCC is certified as a Trustworthy Data Repository by CoreTrustSeal (https://www.coretrustseal.org).
The WDCC was actively involved in the development of mechanisms to publish scientific datasets as citeable entities. The first Datacite DOI ever assigned to a dataset was for a WDCC dataset in 2004 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/WDCC/EH4_OPYC_SRES_A2).
- Long term archiving and publication of climate and Earth SystemScience data in line with the FAIR principles
- Persistent Identifier: DOI (Digital Object Identifier) data publication service for data collections, PIDs for datasets
- Extensive consultation and support of data providing scientists during the editorial process to ensure the quality of metadata and research data
- Comprehensive technical quality assurance of the data
- Open access to all metadata
- Development and evaluation of community (meta)data standards
- Collaboration with various data centers, e.g. the IPCC Data Distribution Center (IPCC-DDC)
- Discipline-specific, community-recognized repository for climate data, recommended by several scientific journals, such as Earth System Science Data (ESSD) or Nature Scientific Data