Step by Step Guide DOKU
This workflow depicts an overview of the essential steps needed to be taken during the process of archival in DOKU. For more details, please consult our DOKU User Guide. During the process, you will constantly be in touch with DKRZ's data management department (DM), which is why the first step to take is to contact DM with a concrete archival request (
firstname.lastname@example.org, see below).
1. Check Permission to Preserve Data in DOKU
- Only data that is part of a DKRZ project can be archived in DOKU.
- Check your project’s quota for DOKU on https://luv.dkrz.de by logging in with your DKRZ username and password.
- Note that the archival process might take some time (the larger the project, the longer) and that quota is accounted for the allocation period when the data is actually archived (not when you send the first request), therefore please plan sufficient time.
2. Initial Contact to DKRZ
- Contact DKRZ Datamanagement (DM) at email@example.com
3. Data Preparation
- Structure and document your data so as to ensure reusability even in years’ time.
- Please note: do not exceed the upper limit of 500 files and 5TB per DOKU-Dataset. Create tar files if you have many small files (less than 1GB).
4. Submission of Metadata and Data
- Register at WDCC here (if you do not have an account yet) or sign in with your DKRZ credentials
- Fill metadata in MetaXA in the dedicated DOKU section
- Data can be archived directly from Levante (/work) or from the tape archive (/arch).
- Supply DM with these data paths as well as the number of files and total size per DOKU-dataset/directory.
5. Archival of Data into DOKU by DM
- You will be notified once the data has been archived in DOKU and is available for download via the assigned persistent URL